Friday, August 2, 2013

All in One Mosaic.

       Once more, our journey through the streets went in a blur, as we rapidly sped past the various pleasant verdant squares, often crowned by dusky, bronze statues. After several minutes, we found ourselves hastily slipping past several narrow alleyways in a row, eventually us leading to the heart of the city. 
     Without thinking even, I must have suddenly sucked in my stomach, to ensure that we would have no problem pushing through the closed, and uneven cobblestone pathways of the alleys. However, once a few more minutes past, we quickly snaked through the neighborhood of Lapa, before we finally reached Selaron's Stairs. 
      Having done no research prior to visiting this landmark of Rio de Janiero, I had no idea to expect. Perhaps it was some ancient monument to the city, which would consist of large, formidable pillars, and smooth, beige marble, proudly reminding citizens of the city's illustrious past.
    As I slowly exited the vehicle, and stood before Jorge Selaron's masterpiece, I couldn't even fathom how wrong I was. All around me rose a vibrant and largely crimson colored staircase, that was indundated with tiles of various shapes and colors. As the sides of the staircase vivaciously streaked up a large staircase, pieced together with numerous images and shades of red, the actual stairs of Selaron were vivid blues, greens, and yellows, providing a sharp contrast to their red counterparts. More than the striking colors and the plethora of visuals, what really impressed me was how I could see how each individual piece was meticulously placed, each outlined by a dark outline of cement. 
          Evandro informed us that Jorge Selaron was a passionate Brazilian artist, who developed an obsession for an mundane stairwell, and was determined to make it a beautiful tribute for the city of Rio de Janiero. He was said to spend every passing moment perfecting it. I stared at his vast mosaic in awe. Selaron's passion did not stop with a single stretch on a wall. No, it covered an entire staircase, which people could still use. It was as if Selaron were making a bold statement. While he was urging people to move forward and ascend his masterpiece, he also wanted them to stop and appreciate his magnificent orchestra of colors, and tiles, and the volatile vibe of the city.
      Before I reached Selaron's Stairs, I imagined that it would be a grand tribute to Rio de Janiero's past, sporting enormous columns and a smooth marble facade. But, when I finally got there, I realized that it was a tribute to Rio's present. With its dazzling array of colors,textures, patterns, people, and cultures, I thought there could be no better representation of the Rio de Janiero. All in one mosaic.

No comments:

Post a Comment