Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tasteful Combinations


        When we slowly entered the spacious, cleanly restaurant, we were greeted by the sight of a wide counter top before us, which held several colorful, steaming plates of food. My mouth began to water. As I neared the cruel, glass shield which separated me and the food, I admired a  white, shining porcelain bowl before me, that held a variety of raw vegetables, ranging from broccoli, to carrots, to cauliflower, to candy-purple,beets. I once more shifted my attention to the several other plates of food beside it, which also held dozens of colorful combinations of grains, and rice, and vegetables. There were other dishes that consisted of a dizzying array of beans. To list a few: kidney beans, green beans, black-eyed peas, white beans, pinto and navy beans. Others were laden with sumptuous burdens of quinoa, tender corn, brown and white rice, wheat, pasta, chives, onions, fresh lettuce, carrots, tart green apples, chunky potatoes, Gorgonzola, tomatoes, shredded coconut, lentils...I could go on for hours, but I won't for the sake of time. And I knew, just from glancing at the overwhelming sundry of salads, that each platter must have been of a completely different texture, temperature, and flavor.

       For all of you carnivorous individuals out there (unlike me), Brazil's numerous restaurants and humble street stands will embrace you with open arms.  You are guaranteed to have an tremendous access to all the assortments of meats, and stews, and sizzling kabobs, ranging from the traditional Acarajé to Acaçá to Bauru.
        It's a wonder I didn't just stand there for hours, simply staring at the food before me. Luckily for me and the line of impatient customers behind us, my parents and Evandro stepped up for the challenge. After several minutes of deliberate decision making, we exited the area directly opposite to the main entrance, with our plates stacked with black-eyed bean salad laced with shredded coconut, juicy vegetable burgers, chickpea salad, and white rice which was inundated with  steamed vegetables. To the right of the main food ordering area, was a pleasant appendage that was staffed with several tangerine orange and lime green tables, which were shaped like perfect circles. As I finally settled in a chair and absorbed the bounty on a plastic tray before me, I could only  imagine what it would taste like.


No comments:

Post a Comment